In 1919 Jules Stoop resigned from the troubled Filmfabriek Hollandia. He wanted to set up his own film factory, with the goal of producing a regular cinema newsreel. He also wanted to focus on the production of documentaries.
The inventory and customers that Stoop took with him when he left Hollandia formed the basis of his firm, the Nederlandsche Maatschappij voor Cinematografie Filmfabriek Polygoon, which was established on November 1, 1919. Stoop was the first general manager of the company.
Originally, the film factory produced mainly the title cards for silent films, but when a disillusioned Stoop left the company in December 1921 and B.D. Ochse took over the leadership, Polygoon quickly grew into a thriving company. Polygoon produced many documentaries as well as the weekly cinema newsreel Hollandsch Nieuws.
In addition to news and documentaries about the Netherlands, Polygoon also produced a number of films about the Dutch East Indies. For these productions, a separate company was established: the Nederlandsch-Indische Film Maatschappij.
Until 1987, Polygoon remained the producer of the Netherlands' most important – and for a long time the only – cinema newsreel (from May 22, 1945 onwards under the name Polygoon-Profilti-Producties). This collaboration with Profilti came about involuntarily during the Second World War, but was continued after the liberation.